Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snapshot of Slea Head Drive - Dingle Peninsula, Ireland


There are so many pockets of the world that I have yet to explore and while I try to discover new places on each adventure, I can’t help but be drawn to Ireland time and time again. I have been fortunate enough to make five journeys to the Emerald Isle and for me a visit is not complete without spending time in the Dingle Peninsula, my favorite corner of the world.

The jewel of the Dingle Peninsula is Slea Head Drive, one of the most magical coastal drives I have traversed. The circular drive around Slea Head begins and ends in Dingle Town; a fantastic fishing village that should be your home base while exploring the area. To properly soak up the magnificent beauty of the awe-inspiring windswept beaches and the startling rolling green hills dotted with sheep and low meandering stone fences, you will need at least a half a day to do it justice. If you are lucky enough to visit during the off-season, you are likely to have the narrow country lane to yourself with various stray sheep as your traffic. Driving alongside ancient beehive huts, farmhouses, secluded beaches, and breathtaking views of the Blasket Islands, one can’t help but feel as though they have stumbled onto something mystical. And to me it is something mystical. Maybe I am biased. But I have a sneaking suspicion that you too will feel the same way.

Rather than try to paint the beauty of Slea Head with words on paper, I will let the beauty of Slea Head reveal itself to you visually.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, Dingle. I remember it like it was last February......

    ReplyDelete