Sunday, October 16, 2011

Autumn Days in Julian, CA


We are midway through my favorite season, autumn, but you wouldn’t know it living in San Diego. Certainly not with the 80 degrees heat wave we had last week. I’m not complaining, but I do find myself longing for the more distinct seasons of my Colorado childhood. This year I was determined to at least experience a sliver of this glorious time of year. To satisfy my craving for multi-hued trees, crisp weather that warrants wearing a jacket and maybe the odd ramble in the wilderness, I set my sights on a weekend camping in Julian.

Julian, California is an easy hour drive east of San Diego. October is Apple Days in Julian and the Main Street of this historic mining town was nearly bursting at its seams with weekend tourists vying for a taste of the famous apple pie sold at nearly every café and coffee shop.

There are plenty of activities to partake in whether you are visiting on a day trip or for the weekend. Julian offers various places for wine and cider tasting, gold mine tours, nearby hiking trails and wooded campgrounds, romantic bed and breakfasts, farmers markets, apple picking at the apple orchards, and this time of year a fantastic pumpkin patch and raspberry picking.

Below is a glimpse of Julian in the autumn.

Pumpkin and Raspberry Picking


Hiking in William Heise County Park
 

After a weekend spent recharging with a nature fix, I am ready to reenter city life. But now that I have had a taste of autumn, I may have to figure out how to squeeze in more fall activities in the upcoming month!

No comments:

Post a Comment