Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finding Inspiration

Inspiration comes in many forms. This past year, my inspiration came in the form of a coffee shop. Not just any coffee shop, but a coffee shop that also doubles as a wine room, study hall, symphony hall, and prime people watching venue.

For many months, I walked by Café Bassam, a new addition to my neighborhood, with rapid interest. Before long, my curiosity got the better of me and I finally decided to check it out.

My first journey to this oasis was last spring when I was faced with the delicious aspect of having a weekend with no plans. Armed with research for an upcoming trip to Budapest, I sat down to read and have a glass of wine. As I read and surveyed the room, I was immediately drawn into the warmth of the clientele. The coffee shop itself is a hodgepodge of decoration; antiques are scattered throughout the bright airy room and patrons lounge on overstuffed chenille sofas or crowd around delicate wooden tables. The European proprietor, who resembles Uncle Fester from the Addams Family, floats around the establishment conversing and laughing with the locals. I was soon surrounded by excited conversations delivered in a variety of languages. It made me wistful of days spent in lovely European cafes over the years and I felt blessed to have something similar in my own backyard.

Stirring operatic and classical music filled the air and magically set the scene for me. I sat watching the eclectic crowd reading classic novels and studious text books, writing wildly in their notebooks and on their laptops, and laughing with friends. The hum of activity was contagious. I had the stark realization that I was envious of them. It had been far too long since I had challenged myself intellectually or done anything in the way of stretching myself. Inspired by the energy of Café Bassam and the support of dear friends, I made a pact that first day. I decided to stop making excuses and finally start tackling my long abandoned dream of  travel writing. No time like the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment