Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Best Watering Holes in New Orleans


One of my favorite things to do, when visiting a new city, is to explore the local drinking establishments. To me, bars are the ideal place to people watch, taste local libations, and get a small glimpse into the local culture. In a city known for its love of revelry and debauchery, New Orleans was an optimal choice for my pub crawl tour. My agenda was to get to know the city through its bars and go beyond Bourbon Street.

In the name of research (of course!), I explored 20 different bars in the French Quarter and the Garden District over a three-day period. As with most things in life, there were some winners and a few bars that didn’t leave much of an impression. Overall, the outcome was a resounding success. I found many local gems, was greeted with overwhelming hospitality, and indulged in many local beers.

Here are the top ten winners of my trip:

Best Dive Bar – The Chart Room


This was easily my favorite bar in New Orleans. In fact, I liked the Chart Room so much that I popped in each day of my trip. The bar has $1.50 ice-cold Miller High Life on tap (generally not my first choice, but who could argue with such low prices?), great tunes on the jukebox, and warm friendly locals. Plus, I liked the self-serve water station to help keep me hydrated in the crushing summer heat. Definitely a place I would frequent if it were in my hometown.

Best Pirate Bar – The Chart Room

Yes, you read that correctly. I actually went to two bars where patrons were dressed as pirates. The Chart Room wins because on two of my three visits, there was a pirate sitting at the bar. The first day, a traditionally dressed pirate was drinking in the corner near the jukebox. The next day, a Jack Sparrow pirate was nursing a cold one. I am still kicking myself for not capturing it on film.

Best Bar with Live Music – Maison Bourbon


This joint had fantastic live jazz music that was a welcome reprieve from the mayhem of Bourbon Street. The musicians whipped the crowd into such a frenzied state, a conga line formed shortly after I arrived. In a city overflowing with talented musicians and live music, this was an enjoyable place to enjoy music for free.

Best Garden District Bar – The Rendezvous Tavern


Magazine Street is filled with many fine local bars and it is hard to narrow it down to a favorite. The Rendezvous Tavern gets the nod because I played a rousing game of darts and enjoyed a tasty beer from Mississippi called Lazy Magnolia during my time here.

Best Bar with Patio – Pat O’Brien’s


Pat O’s is a French Quarter institute. I was hesitant to revisit this bar after visiting the uninspiring Pat O'Brien's in Cancun several years ago. I was pleasantly surprised. The best part of this bar was the lush sprawling patio tucked away in the courtyard of the historic building. Seated next to the bubbling stone fountain and under the shade of an umbrella, I enjoyed a frosty Abita Amber and munched on complimentary popcorn. Next trip, I will have to order their signature drink, The Hurricane.

Best Bar with Shady Past – May Bailey’s


This bar used to be a well-known bordello and the bar is filled with memorabilia from its red-light history. Attached to my hotel, this was a perfect spot to end each night and enjoy a tasty Abita Turbodog.

Best Historic Bar – Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop


A friend turned me on to this fine drinking establishment on my first visit and I enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Built in the late 18th century, this bar only uses electricity in the kitchen and the bathrooms and lights the bar and public spaces entirely with candles. The cozy timber-beamed ceiling pub, which has a huge brick fireplace as a centerpiece, makes you feel far removed from the carnival-like atmosphere of Bourbon Street.

Best Beer Selection – The Bulldog


Another Garden District gem, The Bulldog is great local bar. They offer 50 beers on tap and pride themselves on having a diverse bottle beer selection as well. I am happy to report that they delivered on this declaration. They even had Efes, a beer I enjoyed in Turkey a few years ago. The only disappointment was that renovations closed the enticing beer garden.

Best Bar Food – Jimani


The friendly bartender from The Chart Room sent me to Jimani for food. And his recommendation was spot on. The bar served delicious po’boy sandwiches and red beans and rice. The bar is cheap and cheerful and would be a place I would frequent if I lived nearby.

Best Bar Overall – The Chart Room

Okay, you get it. I liked this bar. Really liked it. I liked the fact that the bartender treated us as if we have been friends for years. I liked the random friends we made. Especially a gentleman named Patrick, who claimed among other things, to have lunched with John McCain and gone shopping with Cindy McCain. I liked that when we ran into our Crescent City Brewery waiter, from earlier in the day, he exuberantly shouted out to us as we entered the bar. The Chart Room definitely meets all my requirements for a grand local pub.

I am anxious to return to New Orleans to uncover more local treasures. I welcome any suggestions you may have.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Turbodog, such a great beer. Good post and helpful for those thirsty tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! If I visited so many bars in such a short time, I am not sure I would remember all the details!!:-)) But you have inspired me to try and visit (even) more bars in each place I go in Oz & New Zealand now!

    ReplyDelete